Living together with an alcoholic is far from what girls dream of when they fantasize about their wedding day. It is hard to imagine that someone voluntarily wants to live "happily ever after" with a person addicted to alcohol, endure his aggression or complaints about life, clean up after him, take care of him, feel disgust and shame for his behavior in front of neighbors, colleagues, friendsand friends. relatives. Not surprisingly, an alcoholic’s marriage falls apart if nothing can make him overcome his desire to drink. There are, however, brave women who fight to the last for their family, applying various measures against drunkenness, whose purpose is the same - not to let the husband drink, to discourage him from ruining his life (and his and his relatives') with addiction. on alcoholic beverages.
The first thing to do is try to persuade him. If the desire to drink is connected with problems outside the family - with work, career, friends, and if alcoholism has not gone too far, it can easily stop, finding the support of relatives.
Constructive dialogue should start only after careful preparation and taking into account certain rules:
- you cannot talk to a person until he or she returns to the appropriate state and becomes able to understand reasonable arguments;
- you should not try to convince an alcoholic while he is experiencing the “pleasures” of a hangover;
- it is undesirable to try to provoke pity or, on the contrary, to make scandals for a person who drinks (even in a sober state), attention is usually needed;
- you can threaten a drunk, but it is important to prepare for the execution of this threat;
- Before starting the conversation, it is advisable to seek advice from a narcologist so that the alcoholic, if he has such a desire, can immediately go to the clinic for treatment.
If the wife manages to prove to the drinking husband that she should seek help, or convince him to at least try to change his life, this man will have a chance. Compiling a so-called "motivation list" can also help. You can work together to find a number of reasons why tackling alcoholism will be not only easy, but also helpful. For example:
- to win the respect of your children;
- to save money on a major shopping or vacation trip for a month;
- study something new instead of getting drunk or start building a career.
Reasons for each person can be individual. You can motivate from a hobby, for example playing sports or messing with the car in the garage, the main thing is that he devotes all his free time to it and does not drink or be in bad company. You may need the help of a psychotherapist.
When persuasion goes unanswered
Conversations, convictions, pleas - in most cases this is not enough to awaken the conscience.It is very rarely possible to prove to a drunk that the lifestyle is destructive, because even if he believes, his own strength to fight alcohol addiction may not be enough. Instead, the best medicine is traditional medicine and folk remedies.
Industrial pharmacological drugs are designed to create a feeling of rejection of alcohol in a person who drinks, they can cause aversion to the drink, its appearance, taste and smell. It is enough to mix a similar medicine with an alcoholic, add it to food or add it to a drink, and if he has additionally drunk vodka or even beer, he will feel bad at the moment. Drugs with such an effect contain an active substance (either disulfiram or cyanamide) that interferes with the normal process of processing ethyl alcohol, causes the accumulation of metabolic products in the blood and, as a result, permanent symptoms of intoxication and hangover. And a person who has become ill at least once after alcohol poisoning will have an aversion to alcohol for a long time. If you add a similar medicine to a drunk (Esperal tablets, Colme drops and their analogues), you can make him think carefully before taking another dose of alcohol.
Once the drugs take effect, an attempt may be made to persuade the alcoholic to undergo treatment with a description of the benefits of treatment at a drug treatment clinic:
- constant monitoring of health status;
- psychological support, especially important for relapse prevention;
- qualified assistance for the restoration of internal organs damaged by the abuse of ethyl alcohol.
Treatment in a hospital under the supervision of a narcologist is the best anti-alcohol therapy, which practically does not fail.
An alternative remedy against drunkenness is even more ingenious in how to get sick people to stop drinking. Folk methods suggest the preparation of decoctions and infusions that act similar to official drugs, talk about completely original drugs:
- green bugs - you can throw 4 bugs in a glass of alcohol to cause an unpleasant smell and taste, and thus aversion to alcohol itself;
- pepper - you can convince a person to give up drinking with the help of tincture (3 drops per 1 liter of alcohol) which is formed from hot red pepper (crushed, 20 gr. ), filled with alcohol (500 ml) and infused for two weeks;
- birch smoke - you can ask to breathe through smoking birch logs, and then offer alcohol, after which you will develop a strong aversion to products that contain alcohol.
It is important to understand that treatment without expert supervision, even traditional, albeit folk methods, should be carried out with extreme caution, as a person may have not only aversion to drinking and a desire not to drink anymore, but also serious health problems.
The final phase of the fightWhen all methods of struggle are exhausted, there is only one last resort: to threaten the husband with parting if he does not stop drinking. At the same time, it is important for a drunkard:
- be prepared to carry out your threat without more warning (1-2 times will suffice);
- to seriously abandon her husband, not to provoke pity and make him beg for forgiveness;
- not believing promises, vows and tears;
- get to work hard and fast - if the housing belongs to the drinking husband, you have to take things out in his absence and go with the children for a while;
- don’t come back drunk until he really proves he’s started treatment.
You should not return to your alcoholic wife if the departure and return situation does not occur for the first time: sooner or later he will realize that his wife cannot actually leave him, no matter how drunk he is.
Get rid of alcohol in the house, do not allow drinking to take a significant place at the feast, "drive" unreliable friends out of the house. . . All this is much easier to do than to "poison" the spouse with drugs that cause aversion to ethyl alcohol. A positive example is a good reason to state that no one in the family drinks.