Alcohol addiction is a serious disease that suppresses the will and disturbs the human psyche. Therefore, drunks should be treated like sick people and nothing else. It should be borne in mind that the alcoholic will fail to stop by scandals, persuasion and anger. This can only be done at the cost of great effort and self-control. When taking action, the wife must be prepared for a hard fight, because it is not easy to force the husband to stop drinking
As for female alcoholism, the situation is even worse. Husbands, children, relatives of alcoholics should understand that it is much harder to persuade a woman than a man. The addict, as a rule, categorically denies that he has problems, considers himself completely healthy and does not want to change anything. The treatment seems pointless to her, and she considers all the persuasions and advice of relatives a personal insult.
Important! This article will discuss how to get a person to stop drinking without going to court or to a mental hospital. If a drunkard has signs of mental disorders or poses a threat to others, it is necessary to seek outside help as soon as possible.
How to talk to an alcoholic
It is very difficult to force an alcoholic to turn to experts, the usual conversations or ultimate demands cannot be resolved here. You have to choose a certain way of talking, gain endurance and patience. That is why narcologists-psychotherapists recommend following certain recommendations.
Wait for the "X" hour. It is useless to talk about treatment with a drunk person, because in such a state he is very satisfied with his life and does not see real problems. In the morning after drinking, you should also not start a similar conversation, because in a hangover, the alcoholic will agree with all the arguments and promise everything you want to hear from him.
It also matters what tone the conversation will be in. The main thing is to reject accusations and reproaches, which will only worsen the situation and subconsciously turn the patient against you. Do not raise your voice, it is better to speak calmly, because alcohol seriously disturbs the structures of the nervous system, so the conversation can easily turn into a new scandal or, even worse, into physical violence by a drunkard.
How to influence an alcoholic
Convincing a drunk that alcoholism is not only a problem for him, but also for the environment is not easy. To do this, relatives of drunks must be patient, resilient and find an approach to understand how to treat a loved one from alcoholism.
It is impossible to persuade an alcoholic who is euphoric and satisfied with such a lifestyle to stop drinking quickly. It is inappropriate to have an educational conversation during a hangover syndrome. In such a state, the patient will not pay attention to persuasion, although he will make various promises in order to end the conversation as soon as possible and take a saving dose of alcohol.
It is better to start a conversation when a drunk is faced with the negative consequences of "intoxicating" drinks. It can be:
- impregnated salary;
- broken car;
- family problems.
You can't succeed with accusations and reprimands. Therefore, putting a person who drinks alcohol on the path of correction will fail, even if you really want to. In order for a drunk to pay attention to persuasion, here are some tips:
- The alcoholic should be talked to calmly, without raising his voice. It is undesirable to shout, because such actions of loved ones can cause an unpleasant reaction in a drunkard. This is explained by the fact that alcoholics have an unstable nervous system, and this is overwhelmed by scandals or beatings;
- When talking to an addict, you need to act confident and determined that you are right. This will enable the opponent to understand the seriousness of the situation and the firmness of the interlocutor's opinion;
- one should not cry and put pressure on pity for a life that did not turn out to be the fault of an alcoholic. These actions will also not bring positive results;
- there is no need to put pressure on the patient with empty threats. If you promise to do something if the drunkenness continues, then you should definitely fulfill the ultimatum.
If one of the spouses drinks?
The tense situation in the family due to alcohol abuse by one of the spouses is not a reason for his violent release from addiction.
This is prohibited by law and can cause significant damage to the health of alcoholics, especially if you add drugs based on toxic disulfiram to food without his consent and prior consultation with a doctor.
Wives or mothers of drunks should not repeat the most common female wrong steps:
- First of all, you have to understand that a drunk cannot be trusted. His hundredth promise to get rid of alcohol is a myth.
- It is impossible to threaten in an empty way, if your words are not supported by action, it is better just not to say them. They convince alcoholics of impunity.
- It is unacceptable to insult your spouse, you need to be able to arouse a sense of guilt in his next unreasonable trick (throwing money, late return home).
- Instead of unattainable threats, you can cause a drunkard to fear imminent death, pointing to the symptoms of his health, characteristic of the possible development of cirrhosis or cancer.
- It is necessary to stop protecting the drunk from insulting others, which will undoubtedly cause shame and remorse.
- It is necessary to limit the access of drinks to family money, without giving a penny for alcohol.
- Discover the reason for drunkenness, especially when it comes to a woman. You can’t get rid of it without removing the addiction trigger.
Motivation for a sober lifestyle
Hope for the salvation of the family can persuade an alcoholic to stop drinking.
To motivate an alcoholic to fight the green snake, he needs to convey all the benefits of a sober life, which benefits await him after he stops drinking. There are different motivations.
You can focus on family well-being, because alcohol abuse almost always leads to family destruction. The hope of saving the family can persuade an alcoholic to stop drinking. Until alcohol dependence reaches a neglected stage, it is necessary to try to convey to the patient the need for treatment.
You can try to talk about the health of the person drinking. Explain to him that you are seriously concerned that you have noticed how much his health has deteriorated. Without objections and swearing, it is necessary to explain that the problems with the stomach and blood pressure are heart disorders - all of which arose as a result of the abuse of alcoholic beverages.
If the person has previously aspired to the job and loved it, then you can try to put pressure on this factor. Drinks always have problems with work, from simple cancellation to cancellation according to the article "alcohol". If this happens, then it is almost impossible for a person to find a normal job. Remind yourself gently of what your spouse dreamed of when he wasn’t drinking, how he planned his career.
If there is no specific motivation, it is almost impossible to get an alcoholic to treat. The addict should understand why he needs to break away from the addiction and what privileges he will be given. You should consciously give up on something important and not do it at the will of the family.
In talking to your alcoholic wife, try to convey the opinion that you are worried about his deteriorating health. It is important to calmly explain that during drunkenness the alcoholic showed negative changes in appearance:
- facial cyanosis,
- beer belly;
Alcoholics are also told about changes in character and behavior. You can compare the health condition of a drunk at the time of a healthy lifestyle with the current condition. Try to assess the changes with the patient and convince them of the usefulness of treating the disease.
Alcoholism is a destructive instrument of family relations, which often leads to divorce. Until a drunk or alcoholic acquires an advanced stage of pathology, there is a chance to save the family. It is necessary to try to convince the drunkard of the need for treatment if the drunkard stops performing semen duties:
- passive in relation to the spouse;
- is not interested in children;
- does not care about the material well-being of the family;
- is aggressive.
Try to convince the patient that he is dear to the family. The main thing in this matter is to calmly, without reproach, convey the idea of the need for treatment.
Finding a new job in such a situation is not easy. Even if this succeeds, the job will be poorly paid and unskilled. To help a person who drinks in this case, it is necessary to persuade him to change his lifestyle and explain how much his life has changed for the worse since the beginning of alcohol abuse. Without the motivation of a drunk, it is not easy to persuade him to seek treatment. It is important for the drunk to understand that this is exactly what he needs.
Can a person stop drinking on their own?
We would like to warn you: self-medication of alcoholics is rarely effective. Sometimes with the help of character and will this is possible if the alcohol addiction has not reached the physical phase. The basis for giving up addiction is the desire to save the family, get a job, status in society, another goal, the achievement of which will be a reward for the effort. To help yourself, it is worth starting to exercise proper diet, running, weekly baths.
Folk methods and methods of treatment are widely used in the fight against alcoholism. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. They are often practiced when it is impossible to convince a drinking boy, husband or son of the harmfulness of that habit. There are pharmacological and folk remedies that cause extreme aversion to alcohol. They are harmless, do not cause addiction or rejection of the body. They contain substances that are completely incompatible with alcohol. They are added to the drink or food of the person drinking.
After drinking alcoholic beverages, they cause an unpleasant reaction of the body: vomiting, nausea, dizziness, etc. The most common folk remedies are:
- Thyme soup;
- ram soup;
- Decoction of St. John's wort.
In ancient times, there was an interesting method of covert persuasion to stop drinking - dung fungus. The fungus contains a substance that stops the conversion of ethyl alcohol into acetaldehyde. If you eat a mushroom and then drink alcohol, then the person will develop symptoms of severe poisoning. In this way, our grandmothers imperceptibly weaned their husbands from alcohol. But in modern reality it is better not to use such a method, especially since medicine has made great progress.
How to cure an alcoholic - the right motivation
In order to convince alcohol to be treated, communication tactics need to be developed:
- stop pitying and covering up the drinker. One should not expect an alcoholic to stop drinking on his own. This approach of the nanny, which solves his problems, is beneficial for the alcoholic, which as a result will not stop drinking, but will get rid of everyday worries;
- You can’t constantly make trouble with a drunk, so as not to push him into a cheerful lifestyle. It should be understood that hysteria and unnecessary discussions about alcohol use will exacerbate the problem, because after the next scandal, the drunk will weigh even more on the bottle;
- Observe calmness and calmness in your relationship with the addict. In moments of enlightenment, the alcoholic talks about healing from a bad habit and about rehabilitation. It is allowed to call a narcologist at home;
- you need to support the desire of the person who drinks for sobriety, to demonstrate the joy of healing, to try to find hobbies for her, new goals in life.
Only some cases can be an exception in this order:
- the patient is dangerous to himself and others;
- the alcoholic has lost the ability to take care of himself;
- drunk mental state is difficult, without medical intervention he will die.
Many people wonder if it is really possible to save a loved one from addiction. After mandatory hospitalization for the patient, measures are taken to block the fever attack, after which the patient is discharged from the hospital and sent home. Practice shows that the patient, even after the severe consequences of drinking, will take the old one again.
It is worth noting that it is impossible to cure a sick alcoholic secretly from him. Often close people of the patient resort to the help of healers, psychics and other unconventional methods. Any means and actions for the recovery of an alcoholic without his consent are not only useless, but also deadly.
In addition, the doctor will perform an examination. Developing a strategy for comprehensive patient healing will allow you to move toward your goal. It will not be possible to cure a drunkard in one session or by medical manipulation. In this regard, first of all, it is necessary to determine the reason that caused the impetus for alcohol abuse.
How should you treat an alcoholic to agree to therapy?
If a person denies dependence on the "green snake", he should be convinced otherwise. How to persuade an alcoholic to be treated so that he clearly understands the existing problem? To do this, you need to talk to him seriously, and the conversation should be conducted with a sober person. What you need to pay attention to:
- People who drink often have memory problems. It is worth remembering the unpleasant accidents in life that he forgot.
- The urge to drink alcohol occurs frequently and for no apparent reason. He needs to be explained that for ordinary people, trouble at work or at home will not cause drunkenness.
- It is worth finding out what feelings an alcoholic feels on a sober head. Frustration and emptiness are some of the hallmarks of addiction. He must be clearly aware of that.
- People who are addicted to alcohol lose control and often do not know the norm. This is why a person gets drunk regularly.
The interview must be done once. It is advisable to do this when the alcoholic is in the mood to talk. For example, the day before he screwed up and was guilty of something. Every argument should be put forward with great confidence. You cannot speak in a raised voice, press pity, resort to threats.
An alcoholic often behaves inappropriately during periods of intoxication. Moreover, such cases are completely forgotten and “thrown out” of memory. In order to be able to be seen from the side in those moments, video evidence can be recorded. The drinker will not like what he saw, he must draw conclusions and agree to treatment.
How to act to set a drunk to heal:
- do not make threats that you are unable to fulfill;
- hint at how bad your loved one’s behavior is when he’s drunk;
- always shows confidence in his ability to stop drinking;
- we understand the loved one that the disease is to blame for everything that can and should be fought against;
- does not deal with the problems of drinking alcohol.
Tell us how hard it is to see a person drunk, how embarrassing it is to listen to strangers talking about the antics of alcoholics. He must understand that close people suffer from his addiction.
All problems caused by drunkenness must be corrected by the alcoholic himself. Payment of debts incurred during drunkenness, reconciliation with the family, confrontation with the boss - all this is decided by the culprit.
Any good reason to quit an addiction can be given. Family happiness is a strong argument for starting treatment.
Recently, many experts have come to the conclusion that alcoholism is a disease. How to justify this statement and convince you to start treatment:
- Diagnostics. Every disease has symptoms, including alcoholism. It is expressed in an irresistible craving for alcohol, changes in behavior, denial of cravings for strong drinks.
- Addiction to chemicals. Because of it, the person starts abusing alcohol. Everyone has problems in the family and at work, but because of that, only addicted people get drunk.
- Progression of the disease. The development of alcoholism follows a predictable scenario. Eventually, the person finally degrades.
- Alcoholism is a chronic disease. Therefore, a person who has not consumed alcohol for years breaks down from one glass of vodka.
- The consequence is death. If treatment is not started on time, the patient will die before the prescribed time. The cause is usually concomitant diseases: cirrhosis, heart attack, cardiomyopathy and other diseases.
The treatment of alcoholism takes a long time. You have to be patient and by no means give up. Some settle for coding, which helps many addicts. The main thing is that a person understands a simple truth - it is absolutely forbidden to drink alcohol. It is an addiction that returns even after a few grams of alcohol. Therefore, sobriety should become the norm for such people.
How to find the cause of alcoholism
Treatment of alcohol addiction will be meaningless in 2 cases: if the person is satisfied with everything and wants to continue drinking or has a good reason to seek solace in alcoholic beverages. If the provoking factor is eliminated, it will be much easier to cure the alcoholic. It is possible that he will stop drinking without encryption.
Often the causes of chronic drunkenness are quite obvious, so they can be recognized without much difficulty. As a rule, the alcoholic himself calls them during a confidential conversation. If you can’t ask him yourself, it can be done with the help of a psychologist. The specialist will find out why the person is dissatisfied with their life and will give the necessary advice.
Common causes of alcoholism:
- uninteresting, boring work or excess of free time;
- constant drinking with friends, relatives or colleagues, gradually becoming addicted to alcohol;
- unsettled personal life, family quarrels, recent breakups, betrayal or loss of a loved one;
- lack of work or housing, poverty, messy life, feeling of hopelessness;
- presence of severe chronic or fatal diseases, desire to relieve pain with alcohol;
- burdened heredity, propensity to alcoholism.
Methods to help an alcoholic return to normal life
If you have managed to persuade an alcohol addict to receive treatment, you should immediately follow the steps of the planned plan. As soon as the patient agrees, you must go to a meeting with a narcologist so that the specialist can prescribe the therapy necessary in this situation. To rule out breakdowns, remove alcohol from the house, and also rule out possible meetings of drunks with former fellow drinkers.
It was smooth on paper, so don’t think that on the first try you will get consent for treatment from your careless alcoholic husband. This is a rather difficult task that requires a lot of patience, and in some places even female cunning and ingenuity. But when the result is achieved, your life will change dramatically, which will be a worthy reward for your efforts.
There are a number of clinics that can forcibly hospitalize a patient by court order. The therapy process itself is divided into several phases:
- Motivational conversation with a psychologist. In some cases, this measure helps a person become aware of the addiction and agree to voluntary treatment.
- Involuntary hospitalization.
- Detoxification procedure.
- Rehabilitation (includes drug coding, psychological support, hospitalization).
- Social adaptation. Assisting a former alcoholic in finding a job, learning a new profession, psychological support.
- Working with relatives. This includes conversations with explanations, participation in self-help groups, personal consultations with a psychologist.
The best solution is to take the drunk to a specialized paid clinic where compulsory treatment services are provided. The disadvantage of this method is that the long stay of alcoholics in the clinic requires large financial investments. So a day at the hospital will be expensive. The price depends on the region and the class of the hospital.
Another way is to place the patient in a psychiatric dispensary. This measure is considered extreme. You can go to a psychiatric clinic only by a court decision or a psychiatric team (experts on the spot decide on the need for emergency hospitalization). In the latter case, the presence of a police detachment is mandatory - they will record the presence of a real threat to the health of the patient or those around them.
Some believe that it is possible to forcibly treat an alcoholic at home. Various herbal decoctions are considered especially effective - they reduce the desire for alcohol.
Here is one of the recipes. Take the following ingredients in equal proportions (10 g each):
- Dried burdock root and sorrel.
Put the herbs in an enamel bowl, pour a glass of boiling water, then heat for 15 minutes in a water bath. The resulting broth is filtered and drunk in small portions throughout the day. It is not recommended to prepare drinks for future use - they should always be freshly prepared. If you want to secretly cure a person from drunkenness, then you can add small portions of the infusion to alcoholic beverages.
You can also buy a ready-made herbal mixture. It is known for these properties:
- discourages the desire to drink alcohol;
- increases the body's protective functions;
- stimulates the immune system;
- helps remove toxins, cleanses the liver.
This drink is especially suitable because it is boiled and drunk all day like ordinary herbal tea in unlimited quantities.
If close people have managed to influence an alcoholic to undergo a course of drug treatment and psychotherapy, it is important to decide on further actions. The main task at this time is to strengthen the motivation for a healthy lifestyle. Most addicts don’t see the point in being sober. Living the right way is scary because alcoholics don’t know what to do next and how to enjoy life. To help such a person, close people should:
- to be convinced that an alcoholic is an egoist of weak will, an infantile person. Fulfilling a drunk’s wishes just to prevent him from drinking again is the wrong way. It is necessary to allow the patient to make decisions independently, then he will be able to enjoy such action;
- support the positive parts of a sober life, persuading the patient to write them down for daily motivational support;
- save the patient from the usual social circle, for whom it is better to move to a new place of residence;
- interest the former alcoholic in a new hobby, don’t let him have free time to think about boring existence. To do that, change his job, take him with a hobby, a sport.
Be consistent in your own campaigns and views.
- Show examples of important people in the alcohol society who have abandoned this addiction.
- Go for a consultation with a psychotherapist and a narcologist together.
- Adjust your personal position in family life from sacrificial or excessive supervision to the opposite.
Remember that only a properly constructed motivation of the addict for treatment and a sober lifestyle will help persuade the patient to mandatory treatment.